December 16: Law Mill. Bridge in Winter, ca.1910
Law Mill. Bridge in Winter, ca.1910 (JHW-C-100). A lantern slide from the John H Wilson Magic Lantern Slide Collection.
The first reference to the Law Mill dates from 1570. It was owned by the burgh of St Andrews for almost 200 years.
John Wilson was a lecturer in the University of St Andrews from 1900 to 1920. The slides in the collection were taken by him and show people and scenes of St Andrews.
Lantern Slides were positive images that were the projected by a “magic lantern” for a group of people to see. The slide would often be sold in themed groups which enabled people to give talks on their travels or present lectures on subjects or events.