Cataloguer’s conundrum: Can anyone tell us what church this is? Is it still extant?
Our post last December on an unidentified French Book of Hours received a huge response and helped us to narrow down exactly which book it was. Based on its success, we are now happy to present the first regular post of the new, rebranded blog, Cataloguer’s conundrum! We plan to use this post to bounce hard-to-identifiy photographs, indecipherable inscriptions, bibliographic puzzles and lost attributions from all of our collections off of our readers. Let us know if you recognise something or can help us figure out what an item is!
Our first conundrum comes from the Photographic Collection. The photo above is a glass plate negative in the George Cowie collection, which is actually an old plate from the James Fairweather studio (the Fairweathers were local St Andrews photographers, predating Cowie’s family run firm; Cowie collected both photography and cameras and somehow managed to salvage or purchase some of the earlier firm’s stock). It is of a church interior, c. 1900, showing pulpit with a tall ornate spire canopy, three lancet windows above the rood screen and some organ pipes at left.
Photographic Research and Preservation Officer
***UPDATE (12:05 pm 06/01/2012)***
This photo just came in from Jennifer Reid at The St Andrews Preservation Trust Museum, along with her comment (below):
***UPDATE (15:35 pm 06/01/2012)***
Here are the images that Pam Cranston mentions in her reply to a comment below of the interior of Holy Trinity (St Andrews) c. 1905. Pam also suggests that this church may not have been in St Andrews either.
***UPDATE (11:00 am 13/01/2012)***
Here is a closer view of organ loft, at upper left, and better view of the stonework, are those bosses below and the windows? Note the communion table and elaborate woodwork.